Monday, April 25, 2011

Creamy Chicken Bake with Mashed Potato Casserole

A while back we had the pleasure of hosting dinner for some of our favorite people and kids (Kim, Cade, Ashley, Dustin, and Cameron). Except for the plate of food on the floor because of my nephew, dinner was a success. Cade even got to hold his first baby. I have since made this dinner for the Kenyon's so that I could spend a little time with their new baby Joel. The best part is you can make the potatoes the night before and bake the day of. I served a peanut butter pie with dinner but that post will come later :)



Creamy Chicken Bake

Recipe:
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 to 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (it calls for cream of broccoli but that just didn't sound good to me)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 jar of sliced mushrooms (I did not use this time because my husband hates mushrooms)
1/4 cup grated marmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (I use about double that because I like my chicken crispy)
2 tbsp butter, melted

Step 1: Place the chicken into a shallow baking dish. Stir the soup, milk, garlic powder and mushrooms (if used) in a medium bowl. Spoon the soup mixture over the chicken.

Step 2: Stir the cheese, bread crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle cheese mixture over the soup mixture.

Step 3. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. I baked mine for an hour!!!!

Mashed Potato Casserole

Recipe:
6 medium baking potatoes such as russet
1/3 cup sliced green onion - I did not use
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
1- 8 oz carton of sour cream (I use light)
4 to 5 tbsp milk - this was not enough for me but I kept adding milk until it was the way I like it
Parsley to taste or Chives

Step 1: Grease 1 1/2 qt casserole; set aside. Peel potatoes. Quarter potatoes. Cook, covered, in boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain.

Step 2: Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook the green onions and garlic in the butter until tender. Mash and drain the potatoes (LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kitchenaid mixer). Add in the onion mixture, sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Gradually beat in enough milk to make smooth and fluffy. Transfer to prepared casserole. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.

Step 3: To serve, bake, uncovered in a 350 oven for 45 minutes or until heated through. If desired sprinkle with parsley.

Note: I put the chives in during step two.

Recipes came from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment